Sprinters win their races by hundreds of a second!
Soccer matches are very often won by a moment of brilliance out of a ninety minute game.
The same holds true for most sports … the best of the best are distinguished from the rest by incredibly small margins. Yet the “the rest” are typically able competitors!
AND YET … to the victor goes the spoils.
It is the winners who take the trophies, the glory and their place in history.
“Winning is a state of mind that embraces everything you do.” Bryce Courtenay
It is also true that the winners work hard to attain their position. It can be argued that all of the competitors work hard … but it would be extremely doubtful that any winners did NOT work hard!
So we can take away one lesson … winners NEED to do the work!
In the more mundane world of business, and in particular in the sales profession, it may not be as dramatic, but there are often still small differences that will decide who wins and who loses.
“If you really want to do something, you’ll find a way. If you don’t, you’ll find an excuse.” Jim Rohn
A second lesson we might learn from winners is that we need to find those “little things” that can differentiate us from our competition.
In order to find those differentiators you may need to answer questions like these …
- Do you truly understand the prospect’s business concerns?
- Do you know what their preferences are?
- Do you understand their personal motivations?
- Do you understand your competition?
- Are you current with your industry’s evolution? What is changing? Is technology impacting you? Are distruptors entering your field? What is happening elsewhere?
- Are you putting enough effort into your messages … or are they the same tired stories from 5 years ago?
- Do you understand where pricing is in your market, today … because today might be different than last week!
- Are you continuously investing in your relationships?
“Winning is not everything, but the effort to win is.” Zig Ziglar
Winning take hard work AND part of that hard work is establishing the reason why a prospect will pick you before the competition.
Kevin Dee is the founder of Eagle (a Professional Staffing Company)
Want to know where Canada’s hot jobs are? Visit the Eagle Job Board!
Have you tried Eagle’s (very cost effective) Virtual Recruiter service?