No matter how “even tempered” we are, there is always the opportunity to be a little edgy … and in a business setting that can be dangerous.
One of the biggest topics of conversation here in Canada lately is the weather … always a topic close to the surface, but a wet miserable Spring is certainly being felt! You can almost feel the tension in people, after a typical long Canadian Winter we are ready for some sun … so a cold, miserable Spring has people in general feeling edgy!
Whatever the cause for a “bad mood” it is critical that your mood does not cause you to make business decisions based on emotion, rather than on sound business parameters!
If you were in a great state of mind would you be having “this” conversation?
Are you tending towards more “direct and honest” feedback … and would you do that IF you were in a “sunny” mood!
Are you going to make a decision, “say something” or act in some way that you will regret later?
We are all human, with human feelings and emotions … but in the work place it is important to make rational business decisions, NOT react because of those emotions. A few thoughts for when you might be a little emotional …
1. Make sure you give yourself time to really think before reacting.
2. The old example of sending your “response email” … to yourself and not replying to the originator until you have had time to settle down is good advice.
3. Walk away from contentious discussions, put them off, set up a future meeting … don’t get drawn into a “her and now” discussion.
4. Take deep breaths and physically calm yourself down … so that you can appear relaxed.
5. Always remember that you don’t want to be regretting “this decision” later!
Walk fast and SMILE!
Kevin Dee is CEO of Eagle (a Professional Staffing Company)
Subscribe to News from the Nest for updates about job market trends, industry news, and more.