The basics of the workforce are simple:
That isn’t so hard is it?
So having learned that lesson … here are some supporting facts.
1. You do not get to decide what parts of the job you do or don’t do.
2. If you feel you know best, then positive suggestions will almost always be welcomed by most reasonable employers.
3. Your management may give you direction if you need it. You do not have the right to ignore that direction.
4. In most jobs you receive pay for work done, so if you are not doing your job you are essentially stealing your wages … think about that.
5. Management does not get a kick out of making your life miserable.
6. If you work “with the system” life is much easier for everyone.
7. It is not easy to learn a new job, but you are paid to do just that. Do not shortchange your employer!
8. If you are unclear about your role then ask, and ask again!
9. If you are not happy in your job then fix the situation.
10. If you choose to fix the situation by leaving … then do it right. See my blog from April 4th.
I actually like people, a lot! However, after ten years in business I am still exasperated that so many people spend their lives looking for the negatives in every situation … life is so much better when you take a positive attitude!
“There is always a choice about the way you do your work … even if there is not a choice about the work itself.” ___ anon.
Kevin Dee is CEO of Eagle (a Professional Staffing Company)
Want to know where Canada’s hot jobs are? Visit the Eagle Job Centre!
Gain a competitive edge! Join Eagle’s Executive Consulting Network!
Have you tried Eagle’s (very cost effective) VirtualRecruiter service?